The first president's home was erected in 1912 and served as a home for two of the school's presidents -- William Jasper Hale, from 1912-1943 and Walter Strother Davis from 1943-1968. The structure, a colonial two-story residence, faced west on the north campus on a hill northwest of the intersection of John Merritt Boulevard and 35th Avenue, North. Under Hale's tenure the residence was referred to as VOLUNTEER MANOR, but was best known as GOODWILL MANOR from the days of the Davis' administration. Because of few places of decent public accommodations to stay when visiting Nashville during the days of segregation, GOODWILL MANOR served as an inn to many eminent guests including Booker T. Washington, Marian Anderson, President and Mrs. Franklin Roosevelt, financier Julian Rosenwald, Jesse Owens and John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Upon the retirement of Dr. Davis, the structure ceased to be a residence and became the home for Public Relations and Alumni Relations Offices until 1984. On March 25, 1982, GOODWILL MANOR was listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service of the United States Department of Interior. It was removed from the National Register in 1991 when the replica of GOODWILL MANOR was completed. GOODWILL MANOR included a complete rebuilding of the almost original enclosure and became the new location for the Development Office and Alumni Relations.